Skip to content

Bible 2016: 10 December Daily Bible Reading

Context and Comment:

Today’s reading contains Revelation 2:1 – 17.

The tree of life is symbolic of the paradise of God, His intended coexistence with His creation. We read about the tree of life in Genesis 2:9 as one of many trees given for Adam and Eve to eat from for food. Once Adam and Eve sin, they are removed from the garden to prevent access to the tree of life. Jesus gives access to the tree of life. Paradise is not so much a picture of location but a picture of fellowship with God.

Jesus condemns the tolerance of different teachings within their assembly. Today, we have a fancy word for this: ecumenicalism. Balaam is a reference to a prophet of God in the Old Testament. The Israelites were conquering their enemies as they made their way to Canaan. Balak, the king of Moab, hears that the Israelites are coming and wants to stop them. So he pays Balaam money to pronounce curses on the Israelites so that they will not be victorious when they come through Moab. Balaam attempts to prophetically declare these curses three times. But each time blessings come out of Balaam’s mouth rather than curses. Of course this makes the king of Moab irate. Balaam then comes up with another plan to curse the Israelites. Balaam devises a plan to have Moabite women seduce Israelite men into intermarriage. Therefore, the Israelites engaged in sexual adultery and spiritual adultery, as their hearts were taken away from God.

Jesus says that those who listen and overcome will receive some precious things:

• the hidden manna, which reminds us of the manna that was hidden in the ark of the covenant and symbolized God’s grace and faithfulness as he provided for his people through difficult times
  • a white stone with a new name written on the stone that no one knows, symbolizing being found innocent

Amos 1-3
1 The words of Amos, who was among the herdsmen of Tekoa, which he saw concerning Israel in the days of Uzziah king of Judah, and in the days of Jeroboam the son of Joash king of Israel, two years before the earthquake. 2 He said:
“Yahweh will roar from Zion,
and utter his voice from Jerusalem;
and the pastures of the shepherds will mourn,
and the top of Carmel will wither.”
3 Yahweh says:
“For three transgressions of Damascus, yes, for four,
I will not turn away its punishment;
because they have threshed Gilead with threshing instruments of iron;
4 but I will send a fire into the house of Hazael,
and it will devour the palaces of Ben Hadad.
5 I will break the bar of Damascus,
and cut off the inhabitant from the valley of Aven,
and him who holds the scepter from the house of Eden;
and the people of Syria shall go into captivity to Kir,”
says Yahweh.
6 Yahweh says:
“For three transgressions of Gaza, yes, for four,
I will not turn away its punishment;
because they carried away captive the whole community,
to deliver them up to Edom;
7 but I will send a fire on the wall of Gaza,
and it will devour its palaces.
8 I will cut off the inhabitant from Ashdod,
and him who holds the scepter from Ashkelon;
and I will turn my hand against Ekron;
and the remnant of the Philistines will perish,”
says the Lord Yahweh.
9 Yahweh says:
“For three transgressions of Tyre, yes, for four,
I will not turn away its punishment;
because they delivered up the whole community to Edom,
and didn’t remember the brotherly covenant;
10 but I will send a fire on the wall of Tyre,
and it will devour its palaces.”
11 Yahweh says:
“For three transgressions of Edom, yes, for four,
I will not turn away its punishment;
because he pursued his brother with the sword,
and cast off all pity,
and his anger raged continually,
and he kept his wrath forever;
12 but I will send a fire on Teman,
and it will devour the palaces of Bozrah.”
13 Yahweh says:
“For three transgressions of the children of Ammon, yes, for four,
I will not turn away its punishment;
because they have ripped open the pregnant women of Gilead,
that they may enlarge their border.
14 But I will kindle a fire in the wall of Rabbah,
and it will devour its palaces,
with shouting in the day of battle,
with a storm in the day of the whirlwind;
15 and their king will go into captivity,
he and his princes together,”
says Yahweh.
2 Yahweh says:
“For three transgressions of Moab, yes, for four,
I will not turn away its punishment;
because he burned the bones of the king of Edom into lime;
2 but I will send a fire on Moab,
and it will devour the palaces of Kerioth;
and Moab will die with tumult, with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet;
3 and I will cut off the judge from among them,
and will kill all its princes with him,”
says Yahweh.
4 Yahweh says:
“For three transgressions of Judah, yes, for four,
I will not turn away its punishment;
because they have rejected Yahweh’s law,
and have not kept his statutes,
and their lies have led them astray,
after which their fathers walked;
5 But I will send a fire on Judah,
and it will devour the palaces of Jerusalem.”
6 Yahweh says:
“For three transgressions of Israel, yes, for four,
I will not turn away its punishment;
because they have sold the righteous for silver,
and the needy for a pair of shoes;
7 They trample on the dust of the earth on the head of the poor,
and deny justice to the oppressed;
and a man and his father use the same maiden, to profane my holy name;
8 and they lay themselves down beside every altar on clothes taken in pledge;
and in the house of their God they drink the wine of those who have been fined.
9 Yet I destroyed the Amorite before them,
whose height was like the height of the cedars,
and he was strong as the oaks;
yet I destroyed his fruit from above,
and his roots from beneath.
10 Also I brought you up out of the land of Egypt,
and led you forty years in the wilderness,
to possess the land of the Amorite.
11 I raised up some of your sons for prophets,
and some of your young men for Nazirites.
Isn’t this true,
you children of Israel?” says Yahweh.
12 “But you gave the Nazirites wine to drink,
and commanded the prophets, saying, ‘Don’t prophesy!’
13 Behold, I will crush you in your place,
as a cart crushes that is full of grain.
14 Flight will perish from the swift;
and the strong won’t strengthen his force;
neither shall the mighty deliver himself;
15 neither shall he stand who handles the bow;
and he who is swift of foot won’t escape;
neither shall he who rides the horse deliver himself;
16 and he who is courageous among the mighty will flee away naked on that day,”
says Yahweh.
3 Hear this word that Yahweh has spoken against you, children of Israel, against the whole family which I brought up out of the land of Egypt, saying:
2 “You only have I chosen of all the families of the earth.
Therefore I will punish you for all of your sins.”
3 Do two walk together,
unless they have agreed?
4 Will a lion roar in the thicket,
when he has no prey?
Does a young lion cry out of his den,
if he has caught nothing?
5 Can a bird fall in a trap on the earth,
where no snare is set for him?
Does a snare spring up from the ground,
when there is nothing to catch?
6 Does the trumpet alarm sound in a city,
without the people being afraid?
Does evil happen to a city,
and Yahweh hasn’t done it?
7 Surely the Lord Yahweh will do nothing,
unless he reveals his secret to his servants the prophets.
8 The lion has roared.
Who will not fear?
The Lord Yahweh has spoken.
Who can but prophesy?
9 Proclaim in the palaces at Ashdod,
and in the palaces in the land of Egypt,
and say, “Assemble yourselves on the mountains of Samaria,
and see what unrest is in her,
and what oppression is among them.”
10 “Indeed they don’t know to do right,” says Yahweh,
“Who hoard plunder and loot in their palaces.”
11 Therefore thus says the Lord Yahweh:
“An adversary will overrun the land;
and he will pull down your strongholds,
and your fortresses will be plundered.”
12 Yahweh says:
“As the shepherd rescues out of the mouth of the lion two legs,
or a piece of an ear,
so shall the children of Israel be rescued who sit in Samaria on the corner of a couch,
and on the silken cushions of a bed.”
13 “Listen, and testify against the house of Jacob,” says the Lord Yahweh, the God of Armies.
14 “For in the day that I visit the transgressions of Israel on him,
I will also visit the altars of Bethel;
and the horns of the altar will be cut off,
and fall to the ground.
15 I will strike the winter house with the summer house;
and the houses of ivory will perish,
and the great houses will have an end,”
says Yahweh.

Revelation 2:1-17
2 “To the angel of the assembly in Ephesus write:
“He who holds the seven stars in his right hand, he who walks among the seven golden lamp stands says these things:
2 “I know your works, and your toil and perseverance, and that you can’t tolerate evil men, and have tested those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and found them false. 3 You have perseverance and have endured for my name’s sake, and have not grown weary. 4 But I have this against you, that you left your first love. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen, and repent and do the first works; or else I am coming to you swiftly, and will move your lamp stand out of its place, unless you repent. 6 But this you have, that you hate the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. 7 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the assemblies. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the Paradise of my God.
8 “To the angel of the assembly in Smyrna write:
“The first and the last, who was dead, and has come to life says these things:
9 “I know your works, oppression, and your poverty (but you are rich), and the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews, and they are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. 10 Don’t be afraid of the things which you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested; and you will have oppression for ten days. Be faithful to death, and I will give you the crown of life. 11 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the assemblies. He who overcomes won’t be harmed by the second death.
12 “To the angel of the assembly in Pergamum write:
“He who has the sharp two-edged sword says these things:
13 “I know your works and where you dwell, where Satan’s throne is. You hold firmly to my name, and didn’t deny my faith in the days of Antipas my witness, my faithful one, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells. 14 But I have a few things against you, because you have there some who hold the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to throw a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality. 15 So you also have some who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans likewise . 16 Repent therefore, or else I am coming to you quickly, and I will make war against them with the sword of my mouth. 17 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the assemblies. To him who overcomes, to him I will give of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written, which no one knows but he who receives it.

Psalm 129
129 Many times they have afflicted me from my youth up.
Let Israel now say,
2 many times they have afflicted me from my youth up,
yet they have not prevailed against me.
3 The plowers plowed on my back.
They made their furrows long.
4 Yahweh is righteous.
He has cut apart the cords of the wicked.
5 Let them be disappointed and turned backward,
all those who hate Zion.
6 Let them be as the grass on the housetops,
which withers before it grows up;
7 with which the reaper doesn’t fill his hand,
nor he who binds sheaves, his bosom.
8 Neither do those who go by say,
“The blessing of Yahweh be on you.
We bless you in Yahweh’s name.”

Proverbs 29:19-20
19 A servant can’t be corrected by words.
Though he understands, yet he will not respond.
20 Do you see a man who is hasty in his words?
There is more hope for a fool than for him.